NOVA International School
Seeks a Learning Support Assistant in The Secondary Division (full time)
Commencing August 2021 (Local salary scale)
At NOVA, we lead a fascinating discussion about how to prepare our students for a world that challenges the fundamental notions of education, wellbeing and success. We are looking for forward-thinkers with expertise in their profession, and equally those who possess the human skills to engage and inspire our students. In addition to your professional experiences and credentials, we would like to get to know your personal story, your motivations, and how you understand the role of learning communities. NOVA is strengthened by ideas and values, hence we seek members who internalize important values, who are team players ready to advocate for all students, maintain high expectations for growth, and who help create a stronger and more interconnected community.
The Learning Support Assistant will work with students and teachers to support individual students' learning needs. The Learning Support Assistant will assume responsibility for duties relating to specific needs of students and assist with instructional support and classroom management for individuals and small groups of students. Interact with immediate supervisor, teachers and parents.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop an understanding of the learning needs of the student supported through an Individual Learning Plan (IEP)
- Take into account the student’s special needs and to ensure their access to the lessons and its content by collaborating with the teachers on differentiation
- Help students develop study and organizational skills
- Help build student’s confidence
- Monitor the social, emotional and physical wellbeing of the students.
- Monitor and document student academic progress
- Have formal and informal meetings with teachers to contribute to planning lessons/activities specific to students
- Help differentiate materials and resources for individual students
- Carry out structured classroom observations and feedback outcomes to teaching staff
- Meet with the teacher(s), CDL team members and department heads to ensure the most appropriate intervention and integration of students
- Seek out new and innovative curricula, texts, and technological applications for implementation in our classrooms and in the special needs room
- Provide skillful classroom management practices (routines and procedures) to ensure a safe, orderly, positive, enjoyable, and productive learning environment
- Establish and maintain frequent communication with parents about their child’s academic, social and emotional progress and needs.
Our Mission Statements as it relates to the personal attributes that are found in the IB Learner Profile:
Seek self and others (Inquirers, Reflective, Balanced)
In Heart and Mind (Caring, Principled, Knowledgeable, Thinkers)
Unafraid of the possibilities (Open minded, Risk Takers, Communicators)
Candidates we would consider a good match include:
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields - pedagogy, psychology, social work, defectology. Masters’ degree in the above mentioned fields (recommended though not required)
- Being familiar with specific learning difficulties, methods of identification, intervention and differentiation
- Demonstrates flexibility to cope with the challenges of a rapidly changing world.
- Technology literate (G Suite, Managebac).
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience of working with learning needs and differences, preferably with secondary school students (grades 6-12)
- Experience of working in a multicultural setting (with families for whom English is a second language)
- Demonstration of ongoing professional development in areas of best practice.
- Collaborative and flexible
- Embodies the IB Learner Profile Attributes
- Possesses enthusiasm and advocacy for student wellbeing
- Displays excellent social skills which enable community-wide collaboration
- Is highly organized, with a minimum of C1 level of English language proficiency
Your application should include a current resume, contact from 2 past supervisors who are willing to be your confidential referees, and a recent photo. In addition, you should include a cover letter of no more than one page, outlining your motivation for joining Nova. All the documents should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
as a single PDF document
no later than Friday, May 28th 2021
. The school reserves the right to appoint an applicant at any stage if a highly qualified person applies before the due date.