Engineering Manager - Android (Inbox)
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Purpose of the role
- Working with the existing team of motivated, self-driven engineers and helping them to achieve increasingly ambitious goals.
- Leading by example, modelling those behaviors that promote ownership, collaboration, open communication, and a growth mindset.
- Coaching reports and peers to help us create the next generations of engineering leaders.
- Fostering a strong relationships with cross-functional stakeholders, including customer support, product management and design.
- Driving the adoption of engineering best practices, fostering a mindset of excellence in terms of application quality, customer experience and software scalability.
- Reviewing existing (and when necessary introducing new) processes to streamline the delivery of multiple concurrent work streams: product and growth initiatives, customer support and engineering roadmap.
- Ensuring on-time and on-budget delivery while maintaining high standards of quality.
- Drive alignment of strategic and units goals, product and technical roadmaps, and delivery timelines.
- Career development and talent growth
- Creating meaningful career development plans for each team member, helping the individuals in identifying growth opportunities and providing support and resources to help them achieve their career goals.
- Conducting fair and yet demanding performance evaluation, assessing our talent for current performance and potential of improvement.
- Demonstrable experience in building and leading high-performing engineering teams.
- Experience in building complex frontend projects. Familiarity with with Mail / Calendar products, standards, and technology a plus.
- A curious, passionate, and growth-oriented mindset
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to build strong relationships with cross-functional stakeholders and influence at all levels of the organisation.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and priorities, and deliver high-quality software solutions on time and on budget.
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering with at least 3 years of experience in a management and leadership roles.
- Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
- Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
- Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
- Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
- Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
- Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.