Spam and Abuse Analyst (MSA)
Location: Skopje office (70%)
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, Proton Drive, and Proton Pass, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 100 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, Paris, Barcelona and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
The MSA department is a highly multi-disciplinary group started in 2019 to tackle difficult mail delivery, spam and abuse problems. We built sophisticated systems from scratch that combine human intelligence and machine learning to make tens of millions of real-time or asynchronous decisions each day. As of 2022, our three areas of focus are 1) mail delivery and spam, 2) abuse and account security, and 3) site reliability of Proton. Over the past years, our custom systems have reduced spam filter misclassifications by over 50%, blocked millions of abusive bulk signups, protected hundreds of thousands of users from account compromise by attackers, and mitigated hundreds of DDoS attacks. In order to move fast with limited resources, we are organized into autonomous teams responsible for the whole system, with expertise across infrastructure, data storage, backend, frontend, machine learning, security and operational excellence. In 3 years, we grew from 2 engineers to over 30 engineers and analysts, spread across 3 continents for 24/7 coverage. We are looking for humble, mission- driven, systems-thinking people who want to make a big impact in a startup environment.
What you will do
- Monitoring how things are working in production and take appropriate actions across all MSA systems
- Fight spam and abuse by quickly understanding the data and context and creating rules to act on past or future events
- Give insights and feedback to Software and Machine Learning Engineers to help design and improve our systems
- As an engineering-driven organization MSA currently doesn't have product or project managers, so you will have the opportunity to play those roles and drive the planning, development, and QA process
- Interact with our users to help them solve account security issues
- Our more technical analysts develop Python scripts for more sophisticated actions or data analysis
- Experience performing data analysis (preferable but not limited to electronic communications, anomaly detection or fraud prevention)
- Strong logical reasoning and analytical skills
- Excellent English communications, both written and spoken
- Able to operate in a fast environment
Bonus points for: