Location: Skopje, Macedonia
Apply: Email resume and why you are a good fit via the Fast Apply field with “WordPress & Static website Developer” in subject
Our mission is to defend human rights and democracy through building software that is essential for digital freedom and privacy protection for all Internet users.
ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). And since its inception, the company has grown at a fast pace and today has over 26 million users. Our principal product, ProtonMail, is the world’s largest secure email service. Our second product, ProtonVPN, is one of the world’s most popular VPN services. Our vision is to build an Internet platform for the protection of digital rights, and we are also developing additional products such as ProtonCalendar, ProtonDrive, and much more.
Proton users include leaders of the Hong Kong protest movement, New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens from over 180 countries. Our team is diverse and dynamic, representing over 30 different nationalities, with offices in Geneva, Zurich, Prague, Vilnius, Skopje, San Francisco, and Taipei.
About the position
Some important parts of our static websites are built upon WordPress, our knowledge bases and other blogs (protonmail.com/blog/, protonvpn.com/support/, gdpr.eu, etc.). These websites have a lot of traffic (millions of views per month) and are really important for our users and for us. And this is why we need an experienced WordPress developer to join our team.
What you will do As a WordPress developer, you will:
- Maintain our WordPress websites
- Customize/produce our WordPress themes
- Continuously improve these websites or rebuild them/some parts of them, always with web quality in mind (SEO, etc.)
- Maintain our static websites
We also consider to use WordPress as headless CMS and move these websites to Jamstack.
Your voice and contribution will be important to reach these objectives.
- At least 3 to 5 years of experience with WordPress
- Strong WordPress skills: theming, best practices (maintainability, security, etc.), plugins management, etc.
- Experience in optimizing/improving web quality: on-site SEO optimization, User-eXperience, Web performance, etc.
- Team spirit
- Strong plus for prior experience in a multi-cultural distributed working environment
Bonus points for
- Opquast certification or web quality knowledge
- Accessibility knowledge
- Localization experience, dealing with websites in several languages
- Experience or interest in learning React/Jamstack (beginner or more)
Why work at ProtonMail?
- A friendly and casual office environment
- A dedicated office budget that can be used for gym memberships, buying snacks for the office, public parking or professional development
- We work on interesting, challenging problems every day. There is never a dull moment
- Our startup culture means everyone’s opinion matters. You can have a significant impact
- Our rapid growth means there are many opportunities for advancement
- The chance to do something meaningful. ProtonMail protects dissidents, journalists and activists. Our work saves lives
- Be part of something bigger. Millions of people and businesses around the world have embraced our idea of an Internet where privacy and security are the default. Join the privacy revolution that is changing the world You have high-skilled colleagues on a vast array of fields, so you can always learn something, every day
To learn more about ProtonMail, you can visit our website: https://protonmail.com