DevOps Engineer - Testing Productivity
Location: Skopje, Macedonia
A better internet is possible, one that empowers people to choose how their personal information is used.
This might seem daunting, or even impossible, but at Proton, building this better internet is what we do every day.
ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, ProtonMail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as ProtonVPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, use end to-end encryption that gives our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton is making privacy universally accessible to more than 50 million registered users, including journalists, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 30 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens use our products so they can choose who, if anyone, sees their information. Join us at one of Europe’s fastest growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies, we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
As a member of the Testing Productivity team, you will design, implement, and improve our test ecosystem at Proton. You will build frameworks, tools, and test infrastructure that provide product teams with reliable and fast testing solutions that improve product quality and accelerate feedback loops. Your work will have a direct impact on our customer-facing apps for iOS, Android, web, and desktop clients, as well as our API and backend infrastructure.
What you will do
- Develop and grow the relationship between the Testing Productivity and Engineering teams, supporting engineers in testing their products efficiently
- Be accountable for the test infrastructure topics, in cooperation with the DevOps Team
- Work with our CI/CD environments to deploy and maintain reliable test infrastructure
- Debug and fix build and deployment issues
- Create consistent local and remote development and test environments
- Document and share your work so others, inside and outside the Testing Productivity Team, can solve problems and contribute effectively
- 5+ years of professional experience in deploying, maintaining, and tuning applications in production Kubernetes clusters
- Experience in building, maintaining, and fixing CI/CD systems
- Demonstrable knowledge of highly available applications/systems
- TestOps experience - set up and maintain test environments, pipelines, and tools that shape test infrastructure
- Experience in working with public and private cloud platforms
- Experience in working with cloud testing services
- Comfortable with coding and switching between different languages
- Skills in building monitoring and tooling solutions
- Experience working with globally distributed infrastructure
- Experience with Kubernetes architecture
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code
- Experience with TestOps for mobile platforms
- Securing container images, deployments, and pipelines
- Experience working with cloud testing services such as Firebase Test Lab, BrowserStack, or similar
- Familiarity working with Python, Go, Node or PHP
- Experience with GitLab CI
- Familiar with Jira/Confluence
Why you should join Proton
- Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.
- Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
- Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - ProtonMail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
- Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
- Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
- Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.