Spam and Abuse Analyst
Location: Skopje, Macedonia
Apply: Email resume and why you are a good fit via the Fast Apply with “Spam and Abuse Analyst” in subject
Our mission is to defend human rights and democracy through building software that is essential for digital freedom and privacy protection for all Internet users.
ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). And since its inception, the company has grown at a fast pace and today has over 26 million users. Our principal product, ProtonMail, is the world’s largest secure email service. Our second product, ProtonVPN, is one of the world’s most popular VPN services. Our vision is to build an Internet platform for the protection of digital rights, and we are also developing additional products such as ProtonCalendar, ProtonDrive, and much more.
Proton users include leaders of the Hong Kong protest movement, New York
Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens from over 180 countries. Our team is diverse and dynamic, representing over 30 different nationalities, with offices in Geneva, Zurich, Prague, Vilnius, Skopje, San Francisco, and Taipei.
While the open nature of email is great for interoperability, accessibility and freedom from centralized control, it also creates challenging spam and abuse problems. For instance, a significant percentage of incoming emails to ProtonMail users are spam, some of which are dangerous phishing attacks. Also, like a free email service open to all, ProtonMail inevitably attracts signups from bad actors who abuse our excellent email delivery and reputation. You will join a growing abuse-desk team to analyze and mitigate spam and abuse attacks. This will involve working with sophisticated anti-spam and anti-abuse systems, including machine learning solutions.
Your work will directly improve the user experience and digital security of millions of people around the world. No domain knowledge or prior experience is required but you should have a technical background in data analytics, software engineering, or other STEM fields.
What you will do:
- Analyze results from our anti-spam/anti-abuse systems
- Create rules to catch and prevent spam/abuse attacks
- Train machine learning models
- QA/test critical systems and suggest improvements to engineers
- Communicate with users regarding account security and abusive behaviours
- Collaborate with teammates on different continents to provide 24/7 coverage
- Technical degree such as math, science or engineering
- Excellent English communications
- Experience performing data analysis or coding
- Bonus: experience crafting regular expressions
- Bonus: interest in digital security and Internet technologies
Why work at ProtonMail?
- A friendly and casual office environment
- A dedicated office budget that can be used for gym memberships, buying snacks for the office, public parking or professional development
- We work on interesting, challenging problems every day. There is never a dull moment
- Our rapid growth means there are many opportunities for advancement
- The chance to do something meaningful. ProtonMail protects dissidents, journalists, and activists. Our work saves lives
- Be part of something bigger. Millions of people and businesses around the world have embraced our idea of an Internet where privacy and security are the default. Join the privacy revolution that is changing the world
You can also read more about us in the press: