Spam and Abuse Analyst
Location: Skopje, Macedonia
Apply: go to https://careers.protonmail.com/o/spam-and-abuse-analyst-skopje and apply online
A better internet is possible, one that empowers people to choose how their personal information is used.
This might seem daunting, or even impossible, but at Proton, building this better internet is what we do every day.
ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, ProtonMail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as ProtonVPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, use end to-end encryption that givesour users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton is making privacy universally accessible to more than 50 million registered users, including journalists, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 30 different nationalities.
While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens use our products so they can choose who, if anyone, sees their information. Join us at one of Europe’s fastest growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies, we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
While the open nature of email is great for interoperability, accessibility and freedom from centralized control, it also creates challenging spam and abuse problems. For instance, a significant percentage of incoming emails to ProtonMail users are spam, some of which are dangerous phishing attacks. Also, like a free email service open to all, ProtonMail inevitably attracts signups from bad actors who abuse our excellent email delivery and reputation.
You will join a growing Anti-Abuse team to analyze and mitigate spam and abuse attacks. This will involve working with sophisticated anti-spam and anti-abuse systems, including machine learning solutions.Ж
Your work will directly improve the user experience and digital security of millions of people around the world. No domain knowledge or prior experience is required but you should have a technical background in data analytics, software engineering, or other STEM fields.
What you will do:
- Analyze results from our Anti-Spam and Anti-Abuse systems
- Craft and optimize rules to prevent Abuse and Spam
- Work with Machine Learning Engineers to test and improve current and future models
- Test critical systems, monitor and help troubleshoot Anti-Abuse and Anti-Spam systems
- Suggest and work with Anti-Abuse Engineers on developing new tools
- Protect users against various attacks and prevent compromised accounts
- Collaborate with teammates on different continents to provide 24/7 coverage
- Experience performing data analysis (preferable but not limited to electronic communications, anomaly detection or fraud prevention)
- Strong logical reasoning and analytical skills
- "thinking out of the box" mindset
- Excellent English communications, both written and spoken
- Experience with Regular Expressions will be a plus
- Interest in Digital Security and Internet technologies will be a plus
Why you should join Proton:
- Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core
- encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.
- Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
- Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - ProtonMail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
- Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
- Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do